CHS Parental Involvement Plan
How are we doing with our School-wide Parental Involvement Plan?
Click here to let us know.
The mission of Columbus High School is to provide a positive educational experience for every student.
We know that parent involvement in our school can have a dramatic effect on the academic achievement of our students. This plan is developed with the goal of developing a strong partnership with all of our parents so that our students will be provided with the best possible education we can offer.
So that parents will better understand our school’s program and how they may become actively involved, we have addressed key areas of concern in our plan. Please feel free to discuss any questions, comments, or suggestions you may have about this plan with your child’s teacher or the school principal. We welcome your input and suggestions
Parent – Student – School Compact
All parents will be given a copy of the new compact through our Federal Programs Handbook sent home with students during the beginning of the school year. All stakeholders are asked to read, discuss and sign the compact. A copy will be maintained on the school website and new students will be given one at the time of enrollment. Each year Columbus High School will revise its school-parent compact in consultation with our school advisory committee and any parental comments received throughout the year.
Annual Title 1 Meeting
By the end of October Columbus High School will hold its annual meeting for all parents of participating children. Parents are notified of the meeting through Falcon Blasts, notices sent home through students, postings on the marquee, through our school website, and through morning announcements. To assist in providing the opportunity for all parents to attend, the meeting is offered in the evening and anyone that can’t attend can request a meeting with the principal or receive this information in the form of a Title I informational letter. Topics to be discussed at this year’s meeting are:
- Programs Offered
- Title 1 Monies
- State Assessment Requirement and Updates
- Student Academic Progress
- Progress Reports
- Report Cards
- Parent iNOW Grade Access
- Parent-Teacher-School Compact
- Parental Concerns and Suggestions
- Needs Assessment Survey
Building Teachers’ and Parents’ Capacity for Strong Parental Involvement
To ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among Columbus High School, parents, teachers and the community to improve student academic achievement, Columbus High School shall:
- Describe any material and resource offered to parents in helping their children increase their academic achievement; provide a parent center in school, and offer counseling services to support parents and students.
- Describe how continuing professional development for teachers will be implemented toward the goal of furthering their understanding and valuing of the contributions of parents; conferencing techniques; establishing positive relationships with families; how communication between the home and school may be strengthened; teacher involvement in PTO and other family-related activities.
- Describe how information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to parents in a language and format that they can understand. Support for parents in languages other than English will be provided by the compilation and translation of key school informational documents; providing translators to assist with registration, enrollment, and parent conferences; and working with the ELL department at Brandon Central Services in arranging for tutors as needed for students.
The following services will be offered by Columbus High School to increase parental involvement and parental awareness
- Parent / Teacher Conferences
Conferences with teachers are encouraged and may be set up by prior appointment during teacher’s planning times and before or after school.
- Bi-Monthly Parent Meetings
- IEP Meetings
- CMSD Parent Academy
- Freshmen Academy Newsletter
- Open House
- Parent Teacher Conference Day
- Parental Contacts
- Teachers: Teacher / Parental Contact Log
- Attendance Office: Call Out & Attendance Secretary phone calls
- Administration: Discipline, behavior contracts, academic and attendance issues
- Counselors: Academic and attendance issues; Graduation planning and requirements
- iNOW Access to grades and attendance
- CMSD Mobile App
- Progress Reports issued
- Report Cards Issued
- Falcon Blast
- Academic Celebrations
- Honor Roll Breakfast
- Awards Day
- Class Night
- Athletic Recognitions
- Meet the Falcons
- Purple Madness
- Athletic Banquets
- Parent Committees
- Advisory / Action / Focus Planning Team
- Booster Clubs
School’s Use of Parent Involvement Funds
Columbus High School will use its allocation of parent involvement funds to promote communication between home and school, provide materials and training to help parents to work with their children to improve their children’s achievement; and to purchase a library of books, pamphlets, videos, tapes, etc. that provide parents with resources in a variety of topics in order to meet the needs of their children.
Involvement of Parents in reviewing and updating Parent Involvement Plan
Annually, a LEA Advisory committee made up of faculty representatives and parents selected by the respective schools meet to review and update the Columbus High School Parent Involvement Plan. The plan is then made available to parents through the school’s website. A paper copy is available upon request through the principal’s office. If you would like to volunteer to be a part of this process, please see the building level principal.
Involvement of Parents in reviewing and updating of Title I Plans and Programs (SWP)
Columbus High School also believes in involving parents in all aspects of its Title I program. Parents are asked to serve on an Advisory committee, who were active participates in the development of the plan. Each year, the school wide plan, including the parental involvement plan, is reviewed and evaluated. Results of comprehensive needs assessment survey are reviewed by the parent representatives and Title I committee to determine needed changes.
Parental Concerns and Suggestions Regarding Our Title Plan
Each year Columbus High School’s Advisory Committee meets to review, evaluate, and revise our Parent Involvement plan. All parents are notified of the review through Falcon Blasts and publicized on the school website. The notices make parents aware that the plan is under review, that a copy of the plan is available for review in the district/school office, or by visiting the district / school website, and that parents have the right to give input regarding the revision of the plan. The notice also states that after the plan is finalized and approved, if a parent finds the plan to be unsatisfactory, they have the right to submit their concerns in writing to the school, and the school will submit their concerns to the central office at the same time that the Title I plan is submitted.
Parental Concerns and Suggestions Regarding Funds
Title I funds are allocated to each school system based upon the consolidated application submitted to the school system on an annual basis. Parents wishing to make and submit comments should they disagree with any part of the Columbus High School Consolidated Application for NCLB funds may do so by submitting those concerns, in writing to:
Craig Shannon, Deputy Superintendent
Columbus Municipal School District
Brandon Central Services Center
Post Office Box 1308
2630 McArthur Drive
Columbus, MS 39702